MHS Pet Food Bank Program: Get Help
Providing pet food for pets of low-income households
MHS understands that it can be difficult to provide care for pets. The MHS Pet Food Bank program is designed to help you keep your pet healthy, happy, and most importantly, in your home. This food is distributed at no charge to pet owners that qualify for the program.
If you need some temporary help in providing food for your pet, you can visit any one of our three Centers for Animal Care to apply for the program.
In order to qualify you must bring with you:
- A valid driver’s license or state identification card
- Proof of financial assistance
Food Bank Terms of Membership:
- Food is distributed at Michigan Humane Society's three centers for animal care in Detroit, Rochester Hills, and Westland on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from noon until 3 p.m.
- Food pickup is only allowed once a week regardless of type or amount of food received (if a bag of food is picked up on Monday, you may not pick up another bag of food until the following Monday). A week is defined as Monday – Saturday.
- There is a limit of one bag or seven cans of food per week - per owner - per household.
- Only one applicant will be accepted per household.
- Only the person listed on the card may pick up food – identification will be required.
- Clients must show proof of limited/low income to register for the program. Acceptable proof includes:
- SOM Medicaid or Medical Assistance Card
- FIP (Family Independence Program)
- Social Security Disability
- Food Stamps / Bridge Card, WIC
Clients may be required to show proof on a recurring basis. If you lose your membership card, the Michigan Humane Society will replace your card only once during a 12-month period. Registration cards may be revoked at the discretion of the Michigan Humane Society.
Food that is given out through the program is food that has been donated to the Michigan Humane Society; therefore we cannot guarantee that food will always be available. You must be prepared to provide appropriate care for your pet during these times.